100 Homeless People In London Were Given Cameras. The Results Have Enchanted The World


homelessgivencameras homelessgivencameras


What happens when you give out 100 cameras to homeless people? You get a whole bunch of incredible and mesmerizing photos from all different perspectives, as well as a massive social movement. The UK-based initiative Cafe Art handed out 100 Fujifilm disposable cameras to London’s homeless as a part of their mission to promote self-expression through photography and art.


Upon distributing the cameras, the Royal Photographic Society provided basic training and told recipients to take photos of anything that moved them and spoke to the theme “My London.”


80 cameras were returned totaling an incredible 2,500 photos. Judges from Fujifilm, Amateur Photographer, the London Photo Festival, Christie’s and Homeless Link worked together to select 20 of the best photos.


There is currently a kickstarter campaign to create a 2016 calendar using some of these pictures. The project started out with a goal of $7,053, and has since raised an incredible $20,273 from 656 generous backers. At the time of writing this the campaign still has 15 days to go!


Café Art said, “We are inspired by the international response to the Kickstarter campaign this week. People have sent us incredible messages of support and it really does make you realise that there are many people who not only care about helping people affected by homelessness, but they are inspired to join us.”


“Telephone Row, Lincoln’s Inn” by XO


homeless-people-photography-2016-my-london-calendar-cafe-art-1 homeless people photography 2016 my london calendar cafe art 1


This photo by ROL was voted as the calendar’s cover.



homeless-photography-2016-my-london-calendar-cafe-art-1 homeless photography 2016 my london calendar cafe art 1In an interview with Bored Panda, Paul Ryan of Café Art said, “We are inspired by the artists and photographers who participate in the project. If it wasn’t for them, we couldn’t create the exhibition and calendar.”


“Left Boot, East London” by Ellen Rostant


homeless-people-photography-2016-my-london-calendar-cafe-art-6 homeless people photography 2016 my london calendar cafe art 6


Nature’s Tunnel or Light and the End, Stratford” by Ellen Rostant



homeless-people-photography-2016-my-london-calendar-cafe-art-5 homeless people photography 2016 my london calendar cafe art 5“Both partners in this project, Michael and I both do this because we enjoy making a difference in people’s lives. The photos are beautiful, but the changes in the people who took them is even more beautiful to witness.”


“Everything I Own or Bags of Life, Strand” by David Tovey


homeless-people-photography-2016-my-london-calendar-cafe-art-4 homeless people photography 2016 my london calendar cafe art 4


“Colour Festival, Olympic Park” by Goska Calik


homeless-people-photography-2016-my-london-calendar-cafe-art-3 homeless people photography 2016 my london calendar cafe art 3


“Past & Present, City of London” by Ioanna Zagkana


homeless-people-photography-2016-my-london-calendar-cafe-art-9 homeless people photography 2016 my london calendar cafe art 9


“The Artist, Whitechapel” by Michael Crosswaite


homeless-people-photography-2016-my-london-calendar-cafe-art-8 homeless people photography 2016 my london calendar cafe art 8


Shadow Of Self, Hyde Park” by Goska Calik


homeless-people-photography-2016-my-london-calendar-cafe-art-2 homeless people photography 2016 my london calendar cafe art 2


“West End Bird, Westminster” by Zin


homeless-people-photography-2016-my-london-calendar-cafe-art-7 homeless people photography 2016 my london calendar cafe art 7


“Tyre Break, Hackney” by Desmond Henry



homeless-people-photography-2016-my-london-calendar-cafe-art-11 homeless people photography 2016 my london calendar cafe art 11“All the money raised goes back into the project. Either to pay for the printing of the photographs and calendar, rewarding the winning photographers, buying art materials for art groups affected by homelessness or helping individuals attend art courses.”


Don’t forget to check out the Kickstarter campaign and share your support!


“Tower Bridge PICNIC, Sothwark” by Cecie


homeless-people-photography-2016-my-london-calendar-cafe-art-10 homeless people photography 2016 my london calendar cafe art 10Photo Credits: cafeart.org.ukfacebooktwitterkickstarter


Next Up: Photographer Shines New Light On Homeless In California To Remind The World They’re Humans Too


Disqus
Comments :